Unless you've been living under a rock you'll know that coconuts, and coconut oil in particular, have been #sohotrightnow for a while now. The Wildbag team has been crushing on coconut since before Wildbag was born but with so much coconut hype(beasts) all over the internet, we thought we'd break down the health and beauty benefits of this glorious natural product so you too can appreciate it as much as we do. Side note, and in case you couldn't tell already - coconuts are totally versatile, they're like a better version of windex (check out My Big Fat Greek Wedding if you don't know what I'm talking about), and who doesn't love a multitasking product? #winning ... Anyway, I'll stop rambling and start sharing some useful coconutiness for you.
As you know (I hope) coconut is a fruit which means it's a 100% natural food source, helping you look good and feel better from the inside out:
- Coconut meat or flesh is not only delicious, but has a super high-fibre content. It acts like a probiotic in your body by feeding the good bacteria in your intestines and killing disease-causing bacteria, fungi, yeasts, and viruses, which makes it excellent for your immunity. It also helps keep you regular (if ya know what I mean!).
- Organic, unrefined coconut oil, which is extracted from the meat of mature coconuts, is full of saturated fatty acids. While this may sound like cause for concern, it turns out coconut's fatty acids are good for you in more ways than one. This is because coconut oil is composed of mainly medium-chain triglycerides (aka MCTs, aka fats in the blood which are used to give energy to your body), which your body processes easily and quickly. Most other foods consist of long-chain triglycerides which take a long time to be processed in your body and produce more body fat than energy. You can literally eat your way to good health with coconut oil as it:
- provides a natural and quick source of energy and boosts your metabolism,
- reduces the risk of heart disease by increasing the level of good cholesterol in your body and,
- it can reduce your hunger, and combined with it's ability to burn fat quickly, it can lead to weight loss.
3. Coconut water, which is also naturally sourced from the inside of coconuts, is low in calories, carbohydrates and sugars and is high in vitamins, minerals and proteins. It is also full of calcium, potassium, magnesium and electrolytes, keeping you super hydrated and refreshed. As an added bonus, Jessica Alba is a huge fan of coconut water all day everyday and you know you can trust Jessica 'cause she's a celebrity... just kidding! You can trust her because she's all about that Honest Beauty life.
Speaking of Honest Beauty, coconuts not only help you look and feel good from the inside out, coconut oil can also help you look and feel good from the outside in by being used as a skincare and makeup product:
- Coconut oil is a great natural moisturiser. It melts on the skin as soon as you apply it and moisturises your skin deeply and thoroughly. All this keeps your skin looking and feeling healthy and youthful (aka - your skin has a bit of the old natural glow happening).
- In the same turn, coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. We all know that going to bed with your makeup on is a no-go, through we've all probably done it once of twice before (I'm not the only one, right?). Coconut oil cuts through grease easily which means it can break down and remove your makeup in one foul swipe while being gentle on and moisturising your skin at the same time.
- Speaking of makeup and removing it - coconut oil is a bit of a makeup product itself. There are times when a girl's gotta have a bit of that faux glow going on- aka highlighter. We'll, coconut oil is a fabulous way to get that faux highlighter glow, naturally. Give it a go by patting some on your cheekbones and you'll see what I'm talkin' about!
- The moisturising and grease cutting properties of coconut oil are not only great for your skin, they work wonders for your hair as well. Massaging coconut oil into your hair and scalp every so often deeply conditions your hair, moisturises your scalp and helps to remove sebum build up from your hair follicles which leads to faster hair growth. As a bonus, it smells great - now who doesn't want healthy, shiny, nice smelling hair?!
If you weren't crazy for coconut before, I bet you are now. It's good for you from the inside out and outside in, smells amazing, tastes delicious and is 100% natural. It's basically the Wonder Woman of superfoods so remember, when in doubt, COCONUT!